The Secret to Memory? A Good Night’s Sleep


Summary: The article is about how sleep and memory correlate. It is mentioned that while we are awake, most information we gain is temporary, eventually, that same information is either stored in our long-term memory, or it is “forgotten”. Studies conducted over the years have indicated that sleep is essential for storing temporary memories into our long-term memory. So for example, if we study a particular topic and would like to retain that information for later use, the ideal thing to do is sleep. While we sleep, the hippocampus is very much active and works towards shifting temporary memories to long-term memory, with the help of the neocortex.


Reflection: I think that this article was relevant to our class because although we have yet to get into memory, we have discussed the function of the hippocampus, which is very much involved in memory processing. We haven’t gotten into sleep either, but I think sleep in general is very important, especially for us college students. We don’t get much sleep, but after reading this article, I’ve had second thoughts on pulling “all-nighters”. They’re really not as effective as we think they may be. Having a good night’s rest is better than no sleep at all. 

Comments

  1. This is a very interesting concept. So basically after each class it is best to take a nap to store the information. What is the length of sleep time needed to efficiently store memories?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading a similar article previously and it prompted me to try to study important information right before I go to sleep to try to make it so I remembered it. I have found it to be very helpful especially with things like vocabulary. I definitely have found that I remember the information better than if I had stayed up all night studying the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a very interesting concept as well. I know that I, myself, don't get enough sleep many nights and I can definitely see how it affects my memory after class. After some classes, I barely remember what we talked about a couple hours later. Sleep is probably the number one factor affecting memory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing Pleasant Odors may Decrease Cigarette Cravings

Holding hands can sync brainwaves, ease pain, study shows

Music Therapy