Dopamine Levels Fall During Migraine Attacks

              Researchers at University of Michigan measured brain activity via PET scans and dopamine levels of eight patients experiencing migraines and eight healthy patients to compare their levels. Dopamine is widely known as the brain’s feel good neurotransmitter that is involved in emotion regulation and sensory perception. It was found by the researchers that dopamine levels dropped significantly during the migraine attacks, and between each attack there was a serious fluctuation of the neurotransmitter’s levels. A drop in dopamine correlates with a higher sensitivity to stimuli, explaining why people who suffer from migraines are often sensitive to light and sound during those times. The surprising factor the researchers found was that patients saw a quick increase in dopamine levels as a form of attempted recovery, but conditions in fact worsened as a result of the spike. This research supports medical practices of giving migraine patients a dopamine antagonist in order to level off the fluctuation and ease symptoms.

                I found this article attention grabbing because I know a lot of people who suffer from regular migraines, and used to suffer from them myself as a child. It is surprising to me that the dopamine levels increasing had made the symptoms of sensitivity worse; it’s almost as if the brain is overcompensating when the body is not prepared for the recovery. This point is when we would feel more nausea and dizziness as a result of the spike in levels.  In class we talk about dopamine being related to movement control and reinforcing effects of things like sex and drugs. While it makes sense that your mood drops as dopamine drops during a migraine, I am curious as to the relation between migraines and movement control, seeing as people normally cannot do much of anything because of how the physical symptoms are affecting them. It’s interesting that the neurotransmitter’s variability can have such a large impact so rapidly on the body.

Comments

  1. This is a very relatable article for me. I have suffered from migraines for a little over 6 years now and this research has helped me understand my symptoms a little better. During migraine attacks, I definitely feel a heightened sensitivity to stimuli; especially light and sound. I also know that many people with migraines see an aura right before a migraine attack. I wonder if this is caused by the decrease in dopamine levels which lead to heightened sensitivity. Because dopamine levels drop during migraines, do sufferers feel so terrible because of the physical pain or because of the lack of the "feel good" neurotransmitter? I think to further this research, researchers should explore how naturally increasing dopamine through activities like exercise may affect how frequently people get migraines and at what intensity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also suffer from migraines on a regular basis. This gives me more knowledge to work with in understanding what is going on in my own head when I'm experiencing one. Personally I get extremely sensitive to light and occasionally see flashes of light. It makes me wonder if the light flashes have something to do with my dopamine levels fluctuating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to suffer from severe headaches so this article is very insightful. It's very common to not even want to be around bright light while experiencing one. I can't imagine dopamine levels rising while such a horrible thing is happening to you. Like Brain said, I wonder if the environment has anything to do with dopamine levels or if they automatically lower at the onset of a migraine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing Pleasant Odors may Decrease Cigarette Cravings

Holding hands can sync brainwaves, ease pain, study shows

Music Therapy