A Dietary Treatment for Depression

Link: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201703/dietary-treatment-depression

Summary: In a recent study a new dietary trial called the SMILES trial looked at a depressed population and looked to see how a dietary treatment would affect them. Individuals were to reduce the amount of unhealthy foods like sweets, fast foods, and sugary drinks for a twelve week period. Individuals were also provided with nutritional sessions where they were provided with some food and recipes. At the end of the twelve week period 32.3 percent of individuals were shown to have reduction in depression scores. The study shows that better eating can in fact make individuals less depressed and can improve other areas as well.

Reflection: I think this article can relate to the topics of emotion and the homeostasis chapters. Depression can be something that even with treatment can plague people for their entire lives and sometimes certain treatments don't work for individuals or they need more than one. If individuals can do something simple like eating better in addition to other treatments the results could be extremely positive. The only drawback as the article mentions is the amount of motivation that eating well can take. Individuals with depression often struggle with motivation so they would need a lot of support in order to make this sort of treatment work and be effective for them.

Comments

  1. I completely agree with study since I have found evidence with it myself. I overall am a healthy eater so the times I to decide to cheat a bit, I feel terrible afterwards, not only because of the guilt but I feel tired and groggy and bloated. Having proper nutrients and fresh food can help someone feel better emotionally and physically, no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this read, most importantly because I completely agree with this trial. I also tried this technique of cutting out fast foods and sweets for about two months and gained some amazing results in regards to my moods. I find it really interesting and somewhat annoyed that the food that we want to eat are most of the time not healthy, but it leaves you so sluggish or feeling really low, or even having that much effect on your mood is just so shocking. I think this can relate to exercise also, the lack of exercise compared to someone who exercises on a regularly and compare their moods. I think that if this knowledge is more widely spread and shared more frequently, more and more people will try this and see that eating "junk" food is not so worth it after all. I personally liked the positive aspects that I got from my own personal experience. I love the natural boost of energy that I get and with the balance of sleep and exercise it keeps me going. It really does help if those who are around you try it too or that you have a support team, because it is easy to fall of track but as long as you get back on it, I believe that it is all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proper nutrition is often, I think, overlooked in self-care and health education efforts in favor of easy-to-follow diets and cosmetically-aimed exercise. Depression, which often has a number of factors, can be the result of imbalanced neurotransmitters in the brain and it makes sense to me that balancing the body's nutritional intake could offer, if not a corrective, then a therapeutic response. Mike mentions in his reflection that the article doesn't mark the serious motivational aspect of the treatment, but there are other confounding factors as well. Agency in cooking for oneself, confidence from familiarizing oneself with a recipe and equipment, cutting some excessive spending in favor of more easily justifiable-- or acceptable, spending, and removal of excess preservatives, trans fats, calories, etc., all these things seem to aim the participant toward wellness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing Pleasant Odors may Decrease Cigarette Cravings

Holding hands can sync brainwaves, ease pain, study shows

Music Therapy