Multitasking Overloads the Brain

Article: http://neurosciencenews.com/multitasking-brain-overload-6531/

"Multitasking Overloads the Brain"


The brain works most efficiently when you focus on one thing at a time. Research shows that performing more than one task at a time reduces productivity by as much as 40%. A group of researchers specializing in brain imaging has found that changing tasks too frequently interferes with brain activity. During a study, researchers took a group of people and had them watch a film. When the film was shown in segments of 50 second clips fragmented their continuity. But when the film was shown in 6 minute segments the subjects' brain functioned more smoothly. The posterior temporal and dorsomedial prefrontal cortices, the cerebellum and dorsal precuneus show the most activity in terms of combining events into coherent event sequences. According to this study these regions work more efficiently when you focus on task at a time. 

I found this article very interesting because our society is centered around multi-tasking. School teaches you that you have to prioritize your time to get all your assignments done and most of the time that requires you to multitask. I never thought that doing more than one thing at a time would interfere with brain activity. I would think that multitask might slow down the processes of you doing something. I know when I do my homework, I am on the phone, and watching tv. So I can see how this experience would come into play. 

Comments

  1. I have learned in the past that focusing on one thing at a time is better for your performance but it is interesting to learn that this is because it actually interferes with the brain activity. This study makes me wonder whether your performance and brain activity is more affected by the time spent on a single task before an individual switches their attention, or the amount of tasks that their attention is being shared by. I took a look at the article and really liked that they pointed out how social media is multitasking and could be overloading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this article personally relatable for two reasons. First, as the semester is finishing up, all of us are stressing over exams, final papers, projects, or other large grades. I find myself trying to do everything at once instead of focusing on one item at a time. I've noticed that when I try and accomplish all of my goals at the same time, I perform poorly in comparison to when I focus on an individual item. Second, multitasking is something that we all must learn how to either cope with or avoid because it will be an obstacle for the entirety of our lives. I hope that research similar to this article will encourage us to find ways to avoid multitasking when possible in order to produce a greater product for the things we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very relevant to us considering we are college students that champion our peers that proclaim that they can juggle multiple tasks at once. I wonder if any experiments have been conducted that tested a participant's testing skills while being asked to focus elsewhere? I also wish they described a methodology to prevent individuals from falling into the trap of multitasking. Overall, this was a very informative and culturally relevant to our modern day society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very interesting to to because I definitely multi-task frequently, especially when working on school work. It makes me wonder how much my performance were to improve if I spent more time focusing on one task at a time. I think this is also interesting because most being multi-task while completing tasks through out the day, for example it make me think about people that text and drive and how truly dangerous than can be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is really interesting information that can be applied to almost everyone's every day life. I play a lot of games competitively and I can certainly feel the decrease in functioning if I'm distracted by something or thinking about something else other than what I'm doing and how I'm going to accomplish what's in front of me. When I can tune out the rest of the world that's when I perform the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very apparent that multitasking is a helpful tool to some while also being a hurtful tool for others. I am one of those people who are great at multi tasking. I can be listening to music while doing homework, while eating. I believe multitasking is a natural instinct that everyone does without noticing. Multitasking allows people to complete multiple things faster than only working on one thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing Pleasant Odors may Decrease Cigarette Cravings

Holding hands can sync brainwaves, ease pain, study shows

Music Therapy