Weight loss surgery alters the brain


According to this article, weight loss surgery, specifically gastric bypass, alters the brain which results in more effective and long lasting weight loss. One study found that gastric bypass surgery causes neural pathways from the stomach to the brain to become more hyperactive. The stomach-sensing neurons located in the brain stem communicate with the lateral parabrachial nucleus which is an area responsible for receiving sensory information and sending it to the amygdala. 

In this study, obese mice were given Roux-en-Y bypass surgery which removes most of the stomach and leaves a small pouch which is attached to the small intestine. After the mice were given the surgery there was increased activation in the neural communication as well as self-reduced meal size and a newfound preference for less fatty foods. Furthermore, the mice began to release increased levels of satiety hormones which is similar to the reaction of humans after undergoing the same surgery. 

In order to explain this phenomenon, Hans-Rudolf Berthoud says, “The change in brain activity is probably caused by the sudden novel contact of undigested food hitting the small intestine rather than the predigested mix that usually comes from the stomach,”. He goes on to explain that the brain areas affected by hunger are made more active by the surgery and reflect the negative feedback. 


I found this article to be extremely interesting due to the personal connection I have with weight-loss surgery. My father had gastric bypass about 15 years ago before it was more mainstream and I can attest to the behavioral changes resulting from bariatric surgery. I do hope that more research is dedicated to this subject because I am curious to know what other factors may influence one’s brain and behavior after undergoing weight-loss surgery. 

Comments

  1. I found the article you chose to be very interesting to read especially because we are about to discuss hunger and feeding signals in class. I had always assumed that gastric bypass surgery was only effective because it created feelings of fullness faster, which prevented individuals from overeating. I was intrigued to find out that this was not the only way that a surgery like this could assist in weight loss. Particularly I became interesting in why a person who had undergone this surgery would start to prefer less fatty foods. The article did not have too much of an explanation for this other than that the surgery resulted in some changes in the brain that made the consumption of fatty foods less pleasurable. When looking over the feeding signals we are learning about in class I noticed that there are signals before and after eating that are involved in detecting levels of nutrients in the body. I wonder if because undigested food is reaching the small intestine, like the researchers explained, and this change results in a difference in the levels of nutrients that reach the blood. It would be interesting to see what other research is done in this area in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely enjoy your summary because it was a great read and intrigued me. I would have never known that the weight loss surgery alters the brain. When I think of our class I remember our discussion about the hypothalamus. As a major part of the brain that participates in appetite and weight control, Thirst, and the production of digestive juices you can definitely see how that may contribute to the reduce interest in less fatty foods. I wonder what other portions of the brain are also impacted by this, especially parts that we have not discussed in class. This is another topic that i'm very interested in learning more about as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This title of this article grabbed by attention immediately and I found your summary captivating. I have always been curious about how and why gastric bypass surgeries work. I have always viewed hunger as more than a biological process. As social beings we do not just eat when we are hungry. Therefore I figured that if anyone were to undergo gastric bypass surgery, they would also have to somehow change their psychological perspective on food as well. I knew that post surgery one's stomach would be smaller therefore unable to hold as much food but I was uncertain about how that signal of 'being full' would make it to the brain. This article gave interesting insight about that process. Although, as I mentioned before, we do not always just stop eating when we are full, so I would be curious to know what the researchers would have to say about about people who get this surgery and how likely they are to overeat in social situations. Does their brain chemistry alter in a way that they are less likely to eat when there is no biological need and only a social pressure exists?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this article extremely interesting. There are some many negative comments associated with weight loss surgery. Long lasting weight is probably successful because it changes one outlook on life, especially for people who struggled with weight issues. I think that once people see the results of the surgery, they will continue to take all the necessary steps so that they will not go back to their initial size. I also think it's successful because it boosts one self esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting subject but I'm not sure how it changes in the brain since most Bypass surgery approximately 62% gain most of their weight back with in a 3 year period. With that being said could you explain what changes in the brain and why do you thing the surgery results in such a large percentage of patience regain their weight back. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing Pleasant Odors may Decrease Cigarette Cravings

Holding hands can sync brainwaves, ease pain, study shows

Music Therapy