"Language Gene" Has a Partner

The first gene found to be associated with human language is the FOXP2 gene. Neuroscientists have discovered how one of FOXP2's molecular partners help it exert its effect on speech and language. Researcher Richard Huganir of John's Hopkins led the new research and says that the findings could lead to new developments in therapies for inherited speech disorders. FOXP2 controls the activity of another gene known as SRPX2, which helps "beef up" the connection of the brain's nerve cells to one another. Now that we know the role of SRPX2, we can study defective copies of it in people with speech difficulties. When FOXP2 is around, SRPX2 makes fewer excitatory synapses. This relationship may help create the correct number of synapses for us to form more complex vocalizations, as suggested by Huganir.

I think this is very interesting research. Honestly, I had never really thought that genes were so specifically integrated with our ability to speak languages. Before I chose to major in psychology, I considered being a speech therapist because I had always found it fascinating to think about how we are able to speak and understand language(s). After reading this article I also can't help but wonder how these specific genes influence Broca's and Wernicke's areas in the brain since we talked about them in class. The article ends by saying there is still more research to be done with this topic, so maybe that could be a research topic in the near future.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/10/language-gene-has-partner

Comments

  1. Is the SRPX2 just involved in speech impediments or is it involved in the development in language? Is it involved in learning new languages as well? I cannot learn another language to save my life, so I'm curious.
    Also, isn't speech impediments linked to stress? So would the people who already have speech impediments be affected by treatment or will it only help with people who have yet to develop an impediment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have not considered that speech could have a genetic origin or influence. In my length of knowledge on language, I believed it was solely a human adaptation and was learned similarly by all cultures, from observing adults speaking as your brain developed. I did consider the variation between language learning based on education level and the amount of speech heard and interpreted by children, but I never thought about a biological influence. Your summary of this article was educational and interesting, as it displayed information I'm sure most students are not aware of, including the specific gene, FOXP2, for language.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing Pleasant Odors may Decrease Cigarette Cravings

Holding hands can sync brainwaves, ease pain, study shows

Music Therapy