How Video Games Change the Brain

Summary:
Recent studies have shown that playing video games can affect, not only the functioning of the brain, but the physical structure of it as well. Marc Palaus and his colleages collected the results of 116 different studies in order to try and find a link between video games and brain function. Out of the 116 articles they compiled, 100 of them showed that there was a change in brain function, while 22 of the studies showed actual change to the brains physical structure. Many of the studies show that playing video games helps improve some types of attention. The research also shows that video games can increase the size and efficiency of the area of the brain involved in visuospacial skills (parietal lobe). The research also states that despite the positive results, negative results have also been found. Video game addiction, which is also known as "Internet Gaming Disorder", can be a big issue for some people. The research results have shown an increase in function and size within the "neural reward system" in the brains of those who play video games. Which can have adverse affects on many aspects of someones life. The article leaves us with Mr. Palaus concluding that since video games are still relatively new, the studies into how video games have an effect on our brains are just getting started. I'm sure we will see many more in the coming decades as video games become more and more popular and accessible.

Relation: The section in the article about video game addiction and internet gaming disorder certainly ties back to our recent lectures on addiction. Video games rewarding players with more points, new characters, or new equipment has the same affect on a person as an addict taking a drug. The article talks about the "neural reward system" in the brain, which we learned was the mesolimbocortical dopamine system that connects to the ventral tegmental area. Whenever a person gets a reward of any kind, that is the area that processes it and gives us the dopamine release that we enjoy so much.

Comments

  1. It is so easy to think that gaming doesn't fall in the category of addiction but reading your post has me thinking otherwise. I have noticed that whenever i spend my long vacations playing video games my spatial skills do improve. I find that my reflexes/responses are quicker than normal. But i do see how winning or an "error in predicting to win" can cause a person to keep playing the same game until they achieve a higher score.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see how playing video games can turn into an addiction because people are being rewarded and that makes them feel good and makes them want to play more to keep reaching new levels and achievements the game has for them. I can see how this ties back to physiological psychology because of the neural reward system in the brain and the release of dopamine from the rewards being given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Video games do have positive and negative rewards for us. I agree that they help our memory, there are numerous studies that prove this. The addicting is also very true since we can become addicted to almost everything. The reward center of the brain will only be used if the person enjoys playing the game, so there does have to be a level of enjoyment. Overall I think you tied this back to class very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This article is very interesting and I liked the fact that you tied this article and video games back to the addiction lecture. I have seen many many articles on video games but in relation to how it negatively effects the brain and attention span. Professors that I have had in the past have mixed feelings on how video games and how brain reacts to excessive amounts of it. Video games, in moderation could be beneficial for the brain and attention span, but some articles that I have seen have shown that it could also help with reaction times as well.
    I can also see where video games can be so addicting as you stated in your tie back to psychology. Because of the mesolimbocortical dopamine system and ventral tegmental area, we get the sense of a lot of pleasure and reward playing video games, and our brain will continuously tell us that we want to continue doing what gives us so much pleasure and reward.
    I loved the article choice and your relation back to the class and psychology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jonathan,

    Thanks for choosing such a neat topic. As an avid gamer myself, your title was a post I couldn’t neglect. I’ve been scolded repeatedly ever since age 7, “those games you play are gonna turn your brain into mush!” It seems before research began this was a popular opinion as it reverberated throughout my house from the late 90’s onward. Since I still receive eye-rolls at the occasional excursion on a Nintendo handheld or a remastered classic, I’m intrigued by your author’s claims of brain benefits from recreational gaming. What particularly grabbed me was reported physical changes of the brain relating to stronger neural connection and functioning. I assume this includes the “visuospatial center of the occipital lobe” you mentioned but I’m curious as to where these growths occur to improve attention and how something abstract like attention is measured quantitatively.

    Speaking of measuring, I’m concerned with your author’s validity considering he is publishing a compilation of others’ findings. Did Palaus conduct any actual study or at least perform true statistical analysis of this aforementioned data? I don’t doubt there is some truth in his interesting assertions but based on your summary I’m not sure he’s a reliable enough source to do so. Does he provide inclusion criteria for these findings and perhaps any original work/research in response?

    Finally, I knew it couldn’t all be sunshine and roses. Of course, I can attest to the downside of gaming and especially the harm of excessive gaming. That’s why I found little surprise at the mention of “Internet Gaming Disorder.” I know how it interferes with the “neural reward system” at a personal psychological level: when I am wrapped up in a truly enthralling game, it’s all I can think about and sometimes even becomes a stronger bribe than responsibilities such as work or school. I know you also briefly detail how this occurs physiologically but with the previous examples of anatomical brain changes, my interest in structure is again piqued. Does Palaus mention any particular brain areas/structures that are augmented/dwarfed/overworked/etc. in the pathway? Perhaps a better understanding of these changes will help regulate video game playing for brain sharpening only: a benefit instead of an unhealthy distraction.

    Thank you,
    Zach Atkinson

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a nanny of a 9 year old boy that plays video games regularly I think that video games cause more issues than help the brain. I see the addiction that you mentioned in your summary definitely take into affect with him. With the study you found I wonder if they only used a certain age group or expanded their study to younger kids. I also am curious to know if you start playing at certain ages it could effect the brain differently; for example a 9 year old to a 22 year old (which I am sure it does). Personally I see people are picking video games over playing outside which I think has a large negative impact on those who do so. I am confused on how it helps attention since I remember from my physiological class that tv and phones lessen attention span when you are not engaging in that due to the overwhelming amount of things going on in video games and tv.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing Pleasant Odors may Decrease Cigarette Cravings

Holding hands can sync brainwaves, ease pain, study shows

Music Therapy