Do You Get the Chills from Listening to Music?


A researcher at USC discovered why some people experience more intense emotions while listening to music than others. The study found that people who get the chills from music have structural differences in the brain than those who do not get the chills from listening to music. A researcher found that these people have a higher value of fibers that connects their auditory cortex to the areas associated with emotional processing. This means that these two areas communicate better in these individuals. People who get the chills while listening to music have an enhanced ability to experience intense emotions. The researchers also stated that they only focused on the auditory cortex, but they also seek to find out if these intense emotions are related to any other stimulus as well.

I thought this article was very interesting. I never thought that getting the chills while listening to music meant that your brain was different. I have definitely had the chills while listening to music before and now I understand why that occurs. It is interesting to learn the science behind the things that you never really thought twice about. This was an eye opening article to read.


http://neurosciencenews.com/music-chills-neuroscience-6167/

Comments

  1. What a chill article and summary. I am curious as to whether this structural difference is heritable or if something if it's caused by past/repeated experiences, such as hearing a song or songs that really spoke to you when you were a child and that caused the connection of the two areas to develop more strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This article was really interesting to me because I get chills whenever I listen to a song this is really important to me or one that takes me back to my childhood. Reading this article shocked me because I had no idea it meant that your brain is different. I honestly didn't think it meant anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting article. I definitely experience "the chills" with certain, more emotional songs so this was very interesting to read. It will definitely make me wonder about what is happening to my brain the next time that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a fascinating article. I've always wondered how listening to music could give people chills but never thought of the scientific aspects of it. I've experienced getting chills while listening to music and now I understand why. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is super interesting to me! Music is an art form that has always clicked with me that I can really understand and feel deeper than any other. As well as chills I've experienced all sorts of emotions from music and varying kinds and it's really cool to know why that is and what it means.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sniffing Pleasant Odors may Decrease Cigarette Cravings

Holding hands can sync brainwaves, ease pain, study shows

Music Therapy